To begin, let’s take a look at the most popular social media network, with a quick primer on what’s good and not-so-good about it.
Facebook is, by numbers alone, the most popular social networking site today, with more than 400 million registered users. It’s a site that lets people share updates, photo videos, articles, and more with “Friends,” who they have to approve to be in their network. Businesses and organizations can create “Fan Pages,” which other Facebook users can become fans of, just like they do sports teams, musicians, and celebrities.
- The user base is huge, and that means many of your customers and constituents are already there.
- It’s easy to use.
- Multimedia content can be integrated with your profle.
- You can separate your personal and professional use.
- You have limited ability to customize your Fan Page.
- Fan Pages do not have email alerts; you will have to check to see if there is any activity.
- It’s a closed environment — only Facebook users can become fans or friends of your business or organization.